Eligible projects include:
- Research in primary and secondary materials leading to the development of books, monographs, peer-reviewed articles, e-books, digital materials, translations with annotations or a critical apparatus, critical editions, or other scholarly resources
- Research related to institutional or community goals or interests, such as projects that draw on archival collections, or the development of materials in support of culture or language preservation and revitalization
- Research leading to the improvement of an existing undergraduate course, including the development of humanities resources (for example, oral histories, identification and preparation of previously unavailable primary sources, or newly compiled historical or literary collections).
NEH is especially interested in supporting projects that advance humanities-related work in the following areas:
- “A More Perfect Union”: NEH Special Initiative Advancing Civic Education and Commemorating the Nation’s 250th Anniversary
- Protecting Our Cultural Heritage